How many times have you wondered how weird certain trends are and how in the world they even came about. Here are Five Strange Wedding Trends that we thought would be fun to share!
1. Trash the Dress. – Creative Photography has become amazingly popular and it is truly quite the impressive art form. Trash the Dress consists of literally trashing your perfectly fine wedding dress and destroying it for art’s sake.
Alternatively: Glam the Dress & Rock the Frock have also increased in popularity in the Creative Photography realm. Brides get all dolled up again and this time take amazing fashion photos in various likely or even unlikely locations!
2. The White Wedding Dress. – Way back when this trend started with Queen Victoria popularizing the White Wedding Dress, White was worn for mourning. So wearing a white gown for the big day would be quite morbid. The norm before that were dresses in different colours.
Alternatively: Nowadays, Colourful Dresses have made a comeback, and although white is still the number one choice, the present day morbid counterpart is the Black Dress. Maybe that will be a norm one day, who knows.
3. Bad luck will come to the couple is the Groom sees the Bride before the wedding ceremony. Although this has been so romanticized, this tradition started when marriages were more like business transactions (arranged) and there was fear that the Groom might potentially back out of the wedding altogether if he didn’t like what he bought … sorry, slip of the tongue, meaning who he was about to marry.
Alternatively: The First Look has become increasingly popular. The couple arranges a time to meet prior to the ceremony where they privately get to see each other for the first time in dressed as a Bride and Groom.
4. Marrying your Pets. – Ok, we admit, pets are cute and cuddly and totally part of your family. However, having them get dressed up as Bride & Groom to get married the same time you are to symbolize the fact the now the two pets are also adjoined in harmonious marital bliss is, well… just plain weird. I mean you wouldn’t have your children do that would you?
Alternatively – including your pets in the ceremony is a great idea. Maybe you can have your dog in a bow tie pulling a little wagon down the aisle with the rings in it. That would be super cute.
5. The Bachelor Party – This is a party for the Groom-to-be to celebrate (be taunted and inebriated) his last-hurrah as a single man; before the ole ball and chain is locked on! The origin here is that this would symbolize the Groom going from boy-hood to man-hood. In North American Strippers, mass amounts of alcohol and disorderliness used to be the way it was done. Thankfully it’s much more toned down now and strippers are not typically the norm.
Alternatively: Pick a Destination like Las Vegas or Cancun, Mexico and have all your closes family and friends join you and your other half for a weekend getaway!